New Product Innovation Manager
Reports to: CEO
Education: BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, relevant field; or equivalent work experience
Driver's License: Valid state license required
Location: Henderson, CO
Travel: Frequent travel, approximately 50%
Hours: Because of frequent travel and equipment testing that may be required, work will on occasion be outside the standard 8:00-5:00
Physical Requirements: Must be able to move about a plant environment, climb stairs, lift equipment up to 75 pounds, operate office machines, drive
Supervises: Formulation Chemist, Project Engineer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Last Updated: October 2018
At Birko, we take food safety seriously. Nothing is more important to us than making sure the food chain is secure, safe and pathogen free. The company has over 60 years of service to the food safety industry and manufactures more than 400 concentrated cleaning, sanitation, antimicrobial interventions and process chemical formulations. Additionally, Birko manufactures a wide range of front-line food safety equipment.
Birko’s expertise and innovation in food safety is built on a strong technical foundation and our team of chemists, microbiologists and engineers are industry-leading experts. We supply over 60% of the Top 100 U.S. protein companies and 90% of the top 10 U.S. beef processors. Our penetration in the brewery sector is equally strong as evidenced by our many customers who are winners at the Great American Beer Fest! In produce, our customers span the nation and include companies with household names and trusted products.
This position will be a leader in the R&D Team that focuses on development and implementation of new technologies, products and industry trends. Position will supervise a team of R&D professionals while also managing product definition, business case analysis, timeline, budget, testing, quality, pricing, manufacturing scale-up, and marketing as the product moves from development to launch.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Responsible for Investigation and Implementation of new technologies, products and industry trends. Work will include: product definition, business case analysis, timeline, budget, testing, quality, pricing, manufacturing scale-up, and marketing as the product moves from development to launch.
- Develops, coordinates and participates in product testing and the accumulation of performance data. Monitors compliance to applicable codes, practices, QA/QC policies, performance standards and specifications.
- Manages technical certification and patent process of new products, as required.
- Investigates and tracks new technologies that may be an option for Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Manages and directs work of Formulation Chemist and Process Engineer.
- Participates in weekly sales calls and provides training on new product launches for Business Development, Sales and Equipment Service team.
- Identify and work with third-party vendors, OEMs, customer test sites, educational institutions, etc., to address issues when needed.
- Coordinates go-to-market activities with Engineering, Production, Marketing, Sales, Finance, and other internal stakeholders.
- Utilizes key business drivers and customer needs to apply the knowledge of internal/external business issues to products throughout the development process.
- Promotes and coordinates the production of scientific papers, white papers, marketing data, etc.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, related field, or equivalent work experience
- At least 5 years’ experience as a new product manager with demonstrated success managing multiple development projects
- Harvest plant, food production equipment and Sanitation Chemistry experience required
- Knowledge and understanding of factors related to Intellectual Property.
- Strong working knowledge of AutoCAD and MS Office skills
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Strong project management and supervision skills
- Ability to work successfully with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Experience with Six Sigma or equivalent continuous improvement processes
Please note, Birko conducts pre-employment and random drug screens. In addition, there will be a pre-employment background check.