Business Development Director - Produce Channel
Reports to: VP, Business Development
Education: Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent is preferred; Business Administration, Marketing, Food Science and Chemistry are preferred areas of study
Driver's License: Valid state license required
Location: Home Office, can be located anywhere in the U.S. with access to a major airport
Travel: Frequent overnight travel required up to 75%
Hours: Full-time, with frequent travel and hours required beyond the standard 8:00 - 5:00
Physical Requirements: Must be able to travel frequently, walk through plant operations, bend/lift materials and supplies
FLSA Status: N/A
At Birko, we take food safety seriously. Nothing is more important to us than making sure the food chain is secure, safe and pathogen free. The company has over 60 years of service to the food safety industry and manufactures more than 400 concentrated cleaning, sanitation, antimicrobial interventions and process chemical formulations.
Birko’s expertise and innovation in food safety is built on a strong technical foundation and our team of chemists and microbiologists are industry-leading experts. We supply over 60% of the Top 100 U.S. protein companies and 90% of the top 10 U.S. beef processors. Our penetration in the brewery sector is equally strong as evidenced by our many customers who are winners at the Great American Beer Fest! And in produce, our customers span the nation and include companies with household names and trusted products
The Business Development Director is responsible for driving sales in the Produce channel. The incumbent will develop business plans and sales strategy for this channel that ensure attainment of company sales goals and profitability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Drives sales in the produce channel. Leads and develops commercial initiatives, solutions, and selling stories focused on driving brand awareness and sales.
- Develops business plans and sales strategy for the produce channel that ensure attainment of company sales goals and profitability.
- Grows and manages Produce revenues, including leading the team through the entirety of the sales planning process.
- Develops corporate relationships ensuring customer satisfaction, and promotes ongoing communication with large customers.
- Receives and provides professional responses to RFPs and RFIs, and leads customer presentations as required. Working with the Sales team and others, provides timely, accurate, competitive pricing for all requests while striving to maintain maximum profit margin.
- Maintains records of all pricings, sales, and activity reports submitted.
- Participates in the development and implementation of marketing plans and programs. Attends trade shows and conventions to further promote the Birko brand and develop relationships.
- Works closely with the Sales, Operations, Equipment and Service teams to ensure quality customer service and provide bundled customer solutions.
Birko is an ISO 9001 Certified company. That means there are Standard Operating Procedures that are inherent to our success as a company. All positions require the following:
- Maintaining an awareness of and following procedures
- If procedures fail to result in desired outcome notifying supervisor
- Being involved in updates to procedures and suggesting improvements
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent is preferred; Business Administration, Marketing, Food Science and Chemistry are preferred areas of study.
- At least 5-8 years’ successful experience in business planning and execution in the Produce channel.
- Experience is food safety and chemical sales. Equipment sales experience preferred.
- Proven track record in a market with revenues of $50M+.
- Prior national or major account responsibilities.
- Effective written and verbal communication abilities. Competent with Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Work requires a significant amount of travel therefore a valid, clean driver’s license is required.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including regular overnight travel.