Business Development Director - Equipment
Reports to: VP/GM, Equipment Division
Department: Birko Chad Division - Equipment Sales
Education: Bachelor's Degree, Equivalent work experience considered
Driver's License: Valid state license
Location: Olathe, KS Office
Travel: Frequent overnight travel, 50-75%
Hours: Full-time, with frequent travel and hours required beyond the standard 8:00 - 5:00
Physical Requirements: Must be able to: travel frequently via plane or car; drive for long periods in day or evening hours; walk across distances within plant environment and climb stairs; squat, stoop and bend around equipment to inspect installation and lift up to 75 pound frequently
At Birko, we take food safety seriously. Nothing is more important to us than making sure the food chain is secure, safe and pathogen free. The company has over 60 years of service to the food safety industry and manufactures more than 400 concentrated cleaning, sanitation, antimicrobial interventions and process chemical formulations.
Birko’s expertise and innovation in food safety is built on a strong technical foundation and our team of chemists and microbiologists are industry-leading experts. We supply over 60% of the Top 100 U.S. protein companies and 90% of the top 10 U.S. beef processors. Our penetration in the brewery sector is equally strong as evidenced by our many customers who are winners at the Great American Beer Fest! And in produce, our customers span the nation and include companies with household names and trusted products.
Business Development Director- Equipment is the face of Birko to many of our customers and is responsible for building strong, positive relationships to help solve the customer’s food safety issues as well as build equipment sales. He or she will be responsible for developing and penetrating food manufacturing/processing market segments, including protein harvest, further processing, produce, brewing and sanitation services and will promote Birko products through end user calls, training, product demonstrations, trade shows and other activities required to deliver world class sanitation, anti-microbial and specialty cleaning solutions to Birko customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop and implement a sales strategy to ensure successful execution of the company’s equipment.
- Observe all new equipment installations and provide face-to-face interactions with Customer and the Birko engineering team to ensure timely troubleshooting and successful installation.
- Prepare, deliver and report on Equipment Quotations for new purchases and installations.
- Utilize relationship building skills and technical expertise to develop mutually successful partnerships with major accounts at a local level
- Extensive customer support efforts including, but not limited to: system trouble shooting, competitive intelligence, product performance testing/verification, training and reports out to account decision makers
- Develop business relationships with top customers throughout North America
- Deliver product and systems training and conduct product demonstrations
- Provide prompt communication to the VP, Equipment Division regarding issues that impact Birko’s ability to successfully maintain and grow its business within the territory
- Serve as a demonstrated subject matter expert with respect to understanding assigned customer businesses; share this knowledge with other key stakeholders to improve the overall customer experience. May present at conferences and professional meetings.
- Demonstrate leadership through problem solving, mentoring and developing/leading strategic initiatives
- Incorporate margin management and other financial drivers to formulate profitable customer partnerships
- Complete Capital equipment site surveys
Birko is an ISO 9001 Certified company. That means we have developed Standard Operating Procedures that are inherent to our success as a company. Duties of this position also include:
- Maintaining an awareness of and following procedures
- If procedures fail to result in desired outcome notifying supervisor
- Being involved in updates to procedures and suggesting improvements
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Equivalent experience will also be considered.
- Excellent selling and interpersonal skills; account acquisition and support experience
- Ability to plan and execute daily work schedule to meet agreed individual goals
- Ability to effectively represent Birko at industry meetings and functions
- Competent with Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Effective written and verbal communication abilities to ensure customer operations are operating at optimal levels
- HACCP certified; SQF practitioner; or BRC certified beneficial
- Ability to serve as the demonstrated subject matter expert with respect to understanding assigned customer businesses and share this knowledge with other key stakeholders to improve the overall customer experience
- Demonstrate leadership through problem solving, mentoring and developing leading strategic initiatives
- Understand margin management and the financial drivers to formulate profitable partnerships
- Work requires significant amount of travel and a valid, clean driver’s license is required
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, periodic overnight travel, weekend and evening work
Please note, Birko conducts pre-employment and random drug screens. In addition, there will be a pre-employment background check.