Technical Sales Representative - Kansas
Reports to: Director of Sales
Education: B.S. Life Sciences, Food Science or Chemistry preferred; equivalent work experience considered
Driver's License: Valid state license
Location: Home Office; Wichita, KS or surrounding area
Travel: Frequent overnight travel
Hours: Full-time, with frequent travel and hours required beyond the standard 8:00 - 5:00
Physical Requirements: Must be able to: travel frequently via plane or car; drive for long periods in day or evening hours; walk through plant operations, bend around plant machinery and lift equipment or supplies
At Birko, we take food safety seriously. Nothing is more important to us than making sure the food chain is secure, safe and pathogen free. The company has over 60 years of service to the food safety industry and manufactures more than 400 concentrated cleaning, sanitation, antimicrobial interventions and process chemical formulations.
Birko’s expertise and innovation in food safety is built on a strong technical foundation and our team of chemists and microbiologists are industry-leading experts. We supply over 60% of the Top 100 U.S. protein companies and 90% of the top 10 U.S. beef processors. Our penetration in the brewery sector is equally strong as evidenced by our many customers who are winners at the Great American Beer Fest! And in produce, our customers span the nation and include companies with household names and trusted products.
The Technical Sales Representative is the face of Birko to many of our customers and is responsible for building strong, positive relationships to help solve the customers’ food safety issues, and build sales. He or she will be responsible for developing and penetrating food manufacturing/processing market segments, including protein harvest, further processing, produce, brewing and sanitation services and will promote Birko products through end user calls, training, product demonstrations, trade shows and other activities required to deliver world class sanitation, anti-microbial and specialty cleaning solutions to Birko customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop and implement a territory sales strategy to ensure successful execution of the company’s sanitation, anti-microbial and specialty cleaning programs to food manufacturing customers
- Utilize relationship building skills and technical expertise to develop mutually successful partnerships with major accounts at a local level
- Extensive end user support efforts including, but not limited to: system trouble shooting, sanitation reviews, competitive intelligence, product performance testing/verification, equipment repair and reports out to account decision makers
- Conduct chemical trials and provide reporting on product efficacy, cost, yield and issue mitigation
- Develop local and regional business relationships with top customers
- Deliver product and systems training and conduct product demonstrations
- Implement and install food safety chemical systems in conjunction with service technicians
- Provide prompt communication to the Sales Director regarding issues that impact Birko’s ability to successfully maintain and grow its business within the territory
Birko is an ISO 9001 Certified company. That means we have developed Standard Operating Procedures that are inherent to our success as a company. Duties of this position also include:
- Maintaining an awareness of and following procedures
- If procedures fail to result in desired outcome notifying supervisor
- Being involved in updates to procedures and suggesting improvements
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences, Food Science or Chemistry preferred. Equivalent experience will also be considered.
- 1-3 years’ experience in quality assurance, sanitation, operations or food production roles in produce, beef, pork, or poultry facility is desirable
- Excellent selling and interpersonal skills; account acquisition and support
- Ability to plan and execute daily work schedule to meet agreed individual goals
- Ability to effectively represent Birko at industry meetings and functions
- Competent with Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Effective written and verbal communication abilities to ensure customer operations are operating at optimal levels
- Mechanical aptitude; ability to operate basic hand tools
- HACCP certified; SQF practitioner; BRC certified preferred
- Work requires significant amount of travel and a valid, clean driver’s license is required
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, periodic overnight travel, weekend and evening work
Please note, Birko conducts pre-employment and random drug screens. In addition, there will be a pre-employment background check.