Reports to: Director, Engineering
Education: B.S. Mechanical Engineering or related field preferred
Driver's License: Valid state license
Location: Olathe, KS
Travel: Overnight travel required, approximately 10%; domestic and limited international
At Birko, we take food safety seriously. Nothing is more important to us than making sure the food chain is secure, safe and pathogen free. The company has over 60 years of service to the food safety industry and manufactures more than 400 concentrated cleaning, sanitation, antimicrobial interventions and process chemical formulations.
Birko’s expertise and innovation in food safety is built on a strong technical foundation and our team of chemists and microbiologists are industry-leading experts. We supply over 60% of the Top 100 U.S. protein companies and 90% of the top 10 U.S. beef processors. Our penetration in the brewery sector is equally strong as evidenced by our many customers who are winners at the Great American Beer Fest! And in produce, our customers span the nation and include companies with household names and trusted products
The Project Engineer provides service to our customers by developing custom mechanical and electromechanical (PLC based controls) products based on their unique requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Developing mechanical and electromechanical (PLC based controls) products by studying customer requirements, researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials, soliciting observations from operators.
- Developing manufacturing processes by designing and modifying equipment for fabricating, building, assembling and installing components.
- Working closely with the manufacturing team to ensure correct and timely build of equipment.
- Ensuring system and product quality by designing testing methods; testing finished-product and system capabilities; confirming fabrication, assembly, and installation processes.
- Completing projects by training and guiding technicians and plant personnel.
- Developing new products and continuous improvement on existing products
- Preparing, scheduling, coordinating and monitoring the assigned engineering projects.
- Interacting with the clients to interpret their needs and requirements and represent them in the field.
- Performing overall quality control of the work (budget, schedule, plans, and performance) and reporting regularly on project status.
- Cooperating and communicating effectively with all team members; providing assistance and technical support.
- Reviewing engineering deliverables and initiating appropriate corrective actions.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent field
- At least 5 years’ experience as a project engineer, designing and building similar equipment
- Excellent knowledge of design and visualization software; Inventor, Auto CAD
- PLC programming
- Advanced MS office skills
- Familiarity with rules, regulations, best practices, sanitary design, and performance standards
- Ability to work with multiple discipline projects
- Project management and supervision skills
- Decision making ability and leadership skills
- Time management and organization skills
- Must be able to: lift up to 75 pounds occasionally; operate equipment; walk across distances within plant environment and climb stairs; squat, stoop and bend around equipment to effect installations or customization.
- Work in food processing plant environments; work for periods up to 12 hours at a time
- Must be able to travel occasionally to customer locations
Please note, Birko conducts pre-employment and random drug screens. In addition, there will be a pre-employment background check.