Chemist - Internship
Reports to: Sr. Formulation Chemist
Education: Current enrollment in accredited Biochemistry, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering program
Location: Henderson, CO
Hours: Part time, Monday - Friday; 10-20 hours/week (hours coordinated around student class schedule)
Physical Requirements: Standing for extended periods of time, mixing, bending, lifting up to 25 pounds
At Birko, we take food safety seriously. Nothing is more important to us than making sure the food chain is secure, safe and pathogen free. The company has over 60 years of service to the food safety industry and manufactures more than 400 concentrated cleaning, sanitation, antimicrobial interventions and process chemical formulations.
Birko’s expertise and innovation in food safety is built on a strong technical foundation and our team of chemists and microbiologists are industry-leading experts. We supply over 60% of the Top 100 U.S. protein companies and 90% of the top 10 U.S. beef processors. Our penetration in the brewery sector is equally strong as evidenced by our many customers who are winners at the Great American Beer Fest! And in produce, our customers span the nation and include companies with household names and trusted products
This position will assist the R&D and quality team with various in-process projects such as testing, documentation and laboratory work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Participate in experimental testing to include designing, performing, documenting and analysis of the results.
- Support R&D team with research and other activities.
- Create presentations and reports of research results.
- Preparation of formulations and reagents to support experiments.
- Assist quality control team with lab work as needed.
Birko is an ISO 9001 Certified company. That means there are Standard Operating Procedures that are inherent to our success as a company. All positions require the following:
- Maintaining an awareness of and following procedures
- If procedures fail to result in desired outcome notifying supervisor
- Being involved in updates to procedures and suggesting improvements
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Currently enrolled in chemistry, biochemistry or chemical engineering degree program. Must have completed coursework through Organic Chemistry II. GPA of 3.0+ preferred.
- Chemical handling experience preferred.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Good communication skills
- Ability to follow standard and non-standard procedures.
- Follow all safety and housekeeping requirements while preforming the job.
- Microsoft Office software programs.
Please note, Birko conducts pre-employment and random drug screens. In addition, there will be a pre-employment background check.